Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Arles...Avignon...and Camargue, France. First family trip (April 18-28)

My host family takes a trip to the south of France once a year with Susi's parents. They invited me along and I declined. Yea....right! The hardest part about the trip was the car ride. It was about a ten hour trip with three kids....one of which was only 1 month old. The movies kept the girls busy.....Pipi Longstrumpf...some Swiss German movie...and Bob da Baulmer (Bob the builder) did keep the occupied for all of 5 minutes a piece. When my host mom was 16, she Au paired for a french family who owns the farm in Arles. It was the most relaxed place with a pond and TONS of area for the girls to play. I did end having a connected room to the girls...which they fully took advantage of. It was nice to know that they loved me enough to walk up the ladder and hang out with me. Arles was a cool place to hang out in. I wouldn't stay longer than a day though. Avignon was really awesome. It had a lot more to see there. We also took a day trip to the Mediterranean sea....and saw where Nostradamus grew up....and walked passed the apartment where Van Gough cut off his ear. I was able to experience eating bull for the first time and the typical fish soup...which was fantastic...(bull is too tough for me, though). The trip was so great. I really felt like I got closer to the family during this time. I loved this area of France...and it helps your bank account when you travel with the host family!


The farm we stayed at.

Somewhere in France. It was so beautiful.

The two oldest girls and I. They do bull fights here still.

The family.

Les Arenes...where the Roman games were held.
Another one of the farm. There were horses to my left....and "guckuliegoos" (chickens) everywhere.
The streets of Avignon.
The girls...loving my room.
The town of Nostradamus.

1 comment:

J'net said...

Such a good experience!
The girls will really miss you, it gets hard on them to change out nanny's every year...
Love the pictures!
Aloha