Sunday, November 2, 2008

Lucerne, Switzerland...Carnival!

In February, the Catholic religion has something called "Carnival" (or "Fasnacht" in Swiss German) which is celebrated right before the beginning of Lent. Mostly, people just dress up and walk around the streets listening to bands play. For my first Swiss experience, I went to Lucerne to see what was going on. It was really fun to see all of the different, crazy costumes. Plus, the city is really beautiful. Before I left, my Mom told me not to take my costume mask...she didn't think I would need it. I was only here two weeks before I had to pull it back out of the shelf for Carnival!

On our way to Chapel Bridge...

On Chapel Bridge with the lovely Au pairs. I have grown really close to Carson, the one with the hat.

In the old town.

A hot air balloon. One of my favorite costumes.

Ninja Turtle!

We didn't get home until super late that night. But seeing as we got to experience Carnival, we weren't too upset! On the following Monday, Basel has a celebration of lanterns that begins at 4 in the morning. They start by turning all of the lights off in the city...and then a huge band comes in! I had to work this year, but I will be back for this event in the future!

2 comments:

Brittiny said...

What great pictures of what looked like a very fun time. Where's the one of the mask on the seat? I love that one...

Jacki said...

That picture of the balloons make me sing "99 loof balloons". You know that song right? I love the pics!